Essentially, and just as way of explanation for the non-cyclists among you, the tape covers the holes in the rim of the wheel where the spokes are tightened. Over a period of time it had seemingly started to lift, meaning that the tube became susceptible to being pierced by the head of the spoke, particularly if I hit a bump with any force....
Unfortunately, as rim tape was something that I didn't have in my arsenal of "spare" bits & bobs, I do now, this mean that a trip to a bike shop was required..... Now whilst in hindsight, I now realize that I should have just reset my sights, jumped on my road bike and headed out elsewhere given that the weather was nice and certainly to good to be stuck in doors or racing all round town looking for rim tape but unfortunately that's not what happened.
I had allowed my enthusiasm to wane and as a consequence ended up in a cafe drowning my sorrows in a cup of coffee instead.
It's a pity because it meant for one reason or another that I only managed to ride 80 of my 200KM weekly goal that week and whilst sure I managed to make up for it and to still fulfill my 800KM objective for the four weeks of February, it left me feeling a little flat!
At this point, I should also confess that my idea of putting in a bit of time & effort into riding the hills has also fallen a bit flat.... I won't be riding the Three Peaks Ride anytime soon, though my overall fitness is improving and I am not sure what the likelihood is of my riding up Mount Donna Buang or Lake Mountain is anytime soon, though who knows anything is possible!