Translate

Friday 30 May 2014

Troll

Thanks to the good folk at Commuter Cycles I've recently been introduced to and taken delivery of a Troll. 



Now whilst there was initially some conjecture on my part as to my bike's gender, I gotta say he's a bit of a brute! It's going to take me a few kilometres and a bit of time getting used to this whole concept of riding something a little heavier and more robust than my normal stead, a concept though that I am thoroughly looking forward to.... 

So, how was he put together:
  • Surly Troll 18" Frame
  • Fox F100 Air Suspension Front Fork  
  • Shimano Deore Front & Rear Derailleurs
  • Shimano Deore Cassette Nine Gear 11 - 34
  • Shimano Deore Chain Ring 42 / 32 / 24
  • Shimano XT Disc Brakes
  • Mavic EN521 Rims with DT Swiss Alpine III Spokes
  • Schwalbe Mondial Tyres

Whilst, there are more "over the counter" bits and pieces available, which might have made the bike a little cheaper to put together, Huw from Commuter Cycles and I put the Troll together on the basis of not only being able to easily maintain it, but also with the view that if spares were required, I could / should be able to wander into any bike shop enroute and pick up the necessary bits & pieces.

Basically, it's a long ride and through countries where I'm led to believe the bike shops aren't necessarily as up to date as shops found throughout Australia / Europe. A bit of an investment now, beats having to sit in the support truck cause I can't repair or replace something! 

No comments:

Post a Comment