Translate

Monday 28 July 2014

Quito - Monday 28/7/14

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it but I've spent the last 48 hours being a stereo typical Gringo. Shopping in what I believe is the main mall in Quito. It's very modern and has a lot of the better known brand names that those of us in Australia or Europe would be familiar.

Why did I do it I hear you ask - Well to buy a few things that I either forgot or didn't have room for in my bags, such as cable ties to make up for the ones that had been thrown out by the airport officials (I didn't have a problem with them taking those), a hammer so that I've got the means to put my tent pegs in on the nights we'll be camping, a torch (How'd I forget that) and a few toiletries, such as sunburn cream, etc.


Now in making the trek to this mall, I came to the conclusion, and it may be common knowledge to some, that there is a massive divide between the haves and the have nots here in Ecuador. In saying that, someone told me recently that roughly 20% of the population live below the poverty line. It's a bit hard to imagine when you look at scenes such as the above. It's probably true though and would explain why there is an armed guard in most shops and in front of virtually every Western Hotel! 

1 comment:

  1. Don't leave your bike unattended outside the supermarket :-)

    ReplyDelete