Translate

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Catacocha to Macara

Today's ride was very enjoyable, though I have to confess that I came within about 75 metres and a couple of minutes from calling it quits, with only about 30 kilometres to go before rolling into our hotel for the night in Macara.

I'd enjoyed the morning's ride downhill from Catacocha, and have to say I was a little impressed / frightened by the speeds that some people were achieving. Heck, I was passed by the majority of the group and whilst I can't be sure, suspect that it is my Italian experience coming out to play in terms of wanting to play things safe. It's a long way to go before we arrive in Ushuaia and I want to make sure I do so in one piece.

At about the 25 kilometre mark, a cafe was located and in true Melbourne / Road Cyclist tradition, the decision was made by a couple of us to stop for a coffee. It's a bit decadent stopping that early in the ride I know, but finding anywhere reasonable to drink is a bit hit and miss and with the lunch truck parked only a further 25 kilometre's away, it was case of WHY NOT!

Coffee consumed, we then headed toward the lunch stop which was a lovely sight by the side of the river. It's the first time we've been at an altitude were it's been possible to do so....

After that there was to be about a ten kilometre ride, that was fairly flat, before the day's nemesis appeared on the horizon. a 450 metre climb over a distance of just 7.5 kilometres. In other words, it was bloody steep!

Whilst I attacked the first little bit with gusto for getting to the top, my enthusiasm waned as time and the never ending climb went on. I had been riding with a couple of colleagues, Julia and Max for much of the day and they'd somewhat inspired me to keep going at a few points on the climb. Not knowing where I stood in terms of reaching the summit and having lost sight of them a few minutes earlier, I stopped for a breather on one corner, almost wishing the lunch truck / sag wagon would come post so that I could hitch a lift.

Water consumed, I then continued my battle with the mountain, only to hear / see the truck coming up behind me and both Julia & Max standing waiting for me one corner on from where I had actually decided to grab a bit of refreshment. Having descended 1000 metres during the day the weather had got noticeably warmer (hot in fact)!

Seeing the situation unfold and feeling in a bit of a bind as to whether to retire for the day or not, I pushed it into another gear and raced up to my colleagues to find out how much further there was to go before the top was reached. 

Seventy five metres came the call. Decision made! I'd cycle on!

I didn't want to be kicking myself for having bailed when it was in fact possible to continue on! What's more I didn't want to "thank" Julia and Max who'd both stuck with me all day by leaving them in that fashion......

Shortly after the summit was reached, a local little bar came into sight, with cry's of - Come join us emanating from several other member's of the Bike Dreams expedition. A soft drink consumed we then cycled on, until I managed to snap my chain at the chain breaker link! Obviously I was just putting too much force through my bike gears..... 

Fortunately all the bits and pieces were located and we were able to put it altogether again for the final fifteen kilometres into town. 



3 comments:

  1. Are you having to pay extra for the experience and expertise of learning all about bike 'repairs on the run' - a good name for a new business into the future? Put that accountant financial analyst hat back on (after taking the helmet off) and do the sums. If I broke my chain - oops: I would not being generating enough power/Watts, so restating this as 'if my chain broke', I wouldn't know where to start. Great story. And a day well done. Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh .. by the way.. did I mention not to forget to pack an extra quick link or two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have packed a couple of spare chains, including the quick links, so hopefully I'll be able to keep the wheels spinning for a bit...

    ReplyDelete