Translate

Saturday 9 August 2014

Cuenca to Ona

The route out of Cuenca, looked horrendous and to be on a road that was going to be full of heavy tucks and long distance buses pumping out their billowing black smoke wasn't something I was looking forward to, so as a result I opted to take the easy option and to simply ride from the summit of today's route, which was also to be the spot the lunch truck was due to set up.

Whilst I'm glad I did, as the drive out wasn't particularly enjoyable and I can only imagine what it would have been like on a bike, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I did so. Not because of what any of my colleagues might have thought, but rather the father / daughter combination that we drove past as they made their way up to the summit, in the rain, on their bikes! I'd be surprised if she was ten and yet she just seemed to take the day's ride in her stride. Seriously, I think I've just spotted the next Marianne Vos, should she stick to enjoying going for a bike ride with her dad. My only regret, I didn't get  photo of her in action........

At any rate, once we got to the lunch spot, I donned my wet weather gear, it having been raining lightly for pretty much the last hour or so, and then headed off down the road with my Italian friend - Carmen - before we had the opportunity to change our minds......

It wasn't long before the rain eased and we were able to enjoy the roll into Ona. 

As Carmen is somewhat new to cycling the mountains or over substantial distances, I suspect, I was able to provide a few tips along the way, as well as insisting we stop regularly to take a million and one photos, to fully make the most of the leisurely route......


Just some of the scenery en-route!


Carmen


No comments:

Post a Comment