Translate

Saturday 2 August 2014

Quito - The journey begins!

Today was another tough day on the road!

Whilst the altitude was probably at least partly the cause, it wasn't helped by the fact that my rear derailleur wasn't working and hence I was unable to speed down hills which you can't do at any rate when you've got I knobbly tyres as I do). It also limited my ability to maintain a decent pace on the flat! Of course to top it all off, there was a constant & very strong head wind.



Some of the views along the way however were brilliant.



A view of Quito looking back from one of the first proper climbs of the tour. 

By the time I got to the halfway (and lunch) point I decided to call it quits and to take the truck to the hotel in Latacunga. It's not something that I wanted to do necessarily, but I figure it's a long trip, it's a holiday and there's no point punishing my body by pushing it to extremes.



Some of the kids who temporarily stopped playing volleyball when we offered up some watermelon.



The view of Cotopaxi (an active volcano) with a snowline at around 5000 metres!



3 comments:

  1. Great photo's. And who is that strange man riding a troll? And what is he doing...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos, love that volcano and good to see you jump on the truck when you needed to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess riding up the volcano was out of the question!!

    ReplyDelete