Translate

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Ayacucho to Huancarama

Although I enjoyed my time in Ayacucho and could have spent another day or so there, I was also pleased to be able to get back on my bike, even if the first forty kilometres or so was to be uphill. Unfortunately there was to be a delayed start, as once again we were called upon for some media activities, this time with a very distinct political bent and whilst sure the electoral candidate in question gave us each a free beanie and a T-Shirt with his political slogan and so on it, along with somewhat of an expectation that we’d wear it for the publicity photos if nothing else, I couldn't help but to think - No thanks, I don’t know or for that matter care what you stand for! Heck I wouldn’t endorse you at home in Australia even if I knew what your politics were and my desire to do so in a country such as yours with such a recent history of significant turmoil - No Way!

At the end of the day, whilst we rolled out of the hotel at around 8:15, it was another hour or thereabouts before we were able to put the hammer down and actually commence our ride to tonight’s camping site. What a waste of time that was….

At any rate, I commenced the ride out of town riding in a loosely based peleton (it makes the task of navigating your way out so much easier when you all do it in a group) and once on the outskirts, quickly found a comfortable cadence for the climb which was to follow. Essentially and you’ll have to forgive me if I have said it before, but you can only do steep climbs at your own pace and as a result the advantage of sitting on someone else’s wheel on such terrain isn’t typically as great as when you’re riding on the flat or on rolling hills.

Unfortunately I rode away from Carmen & Julia in the process, both of whom are still trying to get over the dreaded lurgy, which I must admit was a bit naughty of me and certainly not within the team spirit of things and left me with a bit of a quandary as to whether to sit up and wait for them somewhere, or to continue on till the lunch truck.

I ended up opting for the later, purely because I was on a roll as it were and I wanted to give myself every opportunity of doing the whole day’s ride something I felt may not necessarily occurred if I waited too long, then ended up getting to the lunch truck too late as to give myself time to do the remaining fifty odd kilometres before dark.

At end rate, I ended up rolling in to the lunch truck, at the top of the climb, a little the worse for wear but eager to go on. Fortunately, both Carmen & Jules rolled in 10-15 minutes later. 

As they both indicated a desire to continue onwards, I donned some additional layers to wear (it being somewhat cold, once you stopped working) and waited till they’d finished their lunches. We then headed on to the campsite, the hard part of the day having been finalised. Unfortunately and I didn’t twig it early enough, both the girls were having a bit of strife sitting on my wheel and as a result I unknowingly cycled off, leaving them to their own devices. 




Getting to the top of a smallish hill, I realised what had occurred and stopped for a photo opportunity, took a swig of water, donned yet another jacket (over the top of what I already had on) and yet still they didn’t come into view. Starting to get worried I contemplated riding back the way I had just come, when the lunch truck came into view at which point I noticed that both their bikes on top….

Feeling disappointed for them, but still eager to ride on, I made the snap decision to continue on even though I was now going to be alone and very much last. I’ve got to say, as I rode on, I did wonder as to whether I'd made the right decision, despite it only being thirty odd kilometres into camp. Partially because I didn’t know whether the camp site was going to be at the 78 or 92 kilometre mark. 

Fortunately though, I plugged my phone into my boom box and played the 2013 Triple J Top 100 Hits and used that and the wonderful scenery (not that I stopped and took any photos) to keep me going till finally the “Andes Trail” banner appeared on the horizon, wherein rolling into the campsite, I was pleasantly surprised to find, that despite feeling a less worse for wear, that the girls had erected my tent. What a truly magic discovery! 

All in all, I must say I am feeling pretty pleased with myself given today’s activites.





2 comments: