Translate

Monday 1 September 2014

Cerro De Pasco to Junin

Well I've got to say, last night was probably one of the hardest / worst nights to get sleep that I've ever endured. I mean, who in God's name builds a hotel in a city where the average temperature in the evening is minus two degrees centigrade but neglects to install a heating system (centrally or individually)? Your typical Peruvian that's who!

I don't know whether it's the cost of installation / provision or the fact that it's something that isn't included in most homes here in Peru and therefore would be considered an unusual addition within the hotel scene or not.... Either way, it was a bloody cold night's accommodation and I wish we'd had access to our sleeping bags.....

Waking this morning, I nonetheless found the energy once breakfast had been consumed and our local media commitments completed, not too sure whether it was for the local television station or purely for the hotel, to get rolling with a greater degree of enthusiasm and energy than I'd been able to muster for some time. As a result once I'd taken a few photos of the township, being a open pit mining town (Lead, Silver and Zinc) and one of the highest cities in the world, I decided I'd try to ride with one of the faster group's than I'd normally ride with....


As a result I pushed the cadence and intensity somewhat (not an easy thing to do at altitude) until I caught up with first one group, then another, till ultimately there was no one whom I could see ahead. Whether it was people stopping for photos or that I'd unknowingly been given an EPO injection overnight during my sleep or not, I don't know, but either way I continued to push the pace, till the lunch truck came into sight.

Unfortunately the afternoon's pace wasn't nearly so fast and whilst the scenery was more enjoyable, I bonked! Whilst it may well be as a result of riding at altitude for several hours I suspect that as lunch hadn't been particularly nutritious (a bit of an ongoing saga) that a key reason for my lack of energy is that my body didn't have anything available to power it sufficiently. The fact I'd been cold all day (despite 3-4 layers of clothes) and had been coughing up a lung the whole time I rode probably didn't help.


Fortunately I managed to keep the legs turning, despite contemplating getting off my bike and walking the final 8 or 9 kilometres into town, I was feeling so stuffed! Ultimately I managed to make it into town and to the hostel for a very much needed lie down and cuppa tea. Hopefully tomorrow won't be such hard work.




4 comments:

  1. Someone once told me that sleep was overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alec, Yes it is practically always cold at that altitude at night, regardless of time of year. I remember staying in guest houses in Bolivia, wearing every item of clothing in my possession and practically burying myself under any blankets I could lay my hands on and still feel cold. And that's mainly because insulation is practically non existent there - you really just wonder why considering it is a daily battle with the cold. Yet that bone freezing chill simply does not seem to affect the locals. Stay strong!!! - Ching-Yin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny but the hotel restaurant where we were staying didn't have any deserts and the waitress suggested we might want to wander around to a couple of the local bakeries nearby. When we explained just how cold we were, and that such an idea though good, would probably result in a couple of us dying from becoming frozen solid, offered to go out on our behalf during her snack break, if we stumped up some money for whatever it was we wanted and slipped her a couple of $$ as well. We happily agreed and I've got to say it was money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bloody chilly!! I thought I was cold camping in the southern highlands for the 3 Ring Circus at the end of July!

    ReplyDelete