Translate

Sunday 5 October 2014

Salar De Uyuni to Uyuni

This morning having stayed at a hotel in the middle of a salt plain and only being a short ride into town, we had the opportunity this morning to do a Individual Time Trial of some seven kilometres without there being any traffic lights, interference from motor vehicles or otherwise and whilst I suspect some people took it seriously (though they may not have said as much) most took it as an opportunity to blow off a bit of steam and have some fun.

Being "released" in alphabetical order by first names, I was the first to head out towards the finish line, as the rabbit for those following to chase as it were, with my prime concern being that I not be overtaken by the next chap, within the first kilometre  (the visual distance of the rest of the group). Now being first thing in the morning and without having had or made the time to warm up, I found it difficult to get going.

The air was cold making breathing extremely difficult and I suspect like most people I found it impossible to get up to a decent speed. I think I managed at one point to get to about 30KM/H but doing so made the lungs almost collapse. 

As a result, I wound it back a fraction, I mean I wanted to be able to cross the finish line in one piece and I'm glad I did.... I mean I hadn't staked any $$$ on it, wasn't taking it too seriously and doubted that I'd keep the stronger faster lads at bay regardless of what I did. In that respect I was proven right, but am pleased to say that, I reported an acceptable time nonetheless. 

Once the ITT was over and whilst the judges collated / reviewed the times people achieved,  we all headed into Uyuni the town in which we've got a rest day tomorrow and what a welcome relief it was to subsequently check into hotel with hot running water.....


No comments:

Post a Comment