Translate

Sunday 19 October 2014

Santa Maria to Hualfin

Today was a tough day on the road and I am ashamed to admit that I pulled the pin 2/3rds of the way in, I was just so tired of fighting what I can only guestimate was a 40 KM/H headwind for three or four hours on end. 

The effect of the wind was such that I was only averaging 15 KM/H and with the campsite, located some 120 kilometres from Santa Maria, I became a little concerned at my ability to get there, grab a bite to eat, set up my tent and so on, before midnight!

In all seriousness though, with the scenery being a little boring (Sorry no photos to prove it either way) and getting so frustrated at pounding the pedals and getting nowhere fast, it was my mental stamina that gave in far before I reached a point of physical exhaustion. Hopefully, it’s just a 24 hour phase, though unfortunately I suspect it may not be, cause all I know is, if the scenery / wind are like they were today for the next couple of days or so, then I will most definitely pulling the pin in Mendoza.

Whilst the size of the peleton has diminished, with seven or eight cyclists leaving in Salta, there has been an addition to the staff in the form of a new cook which I’ve got to tell you has resulted in the quality of the dinners going through the roof, relatively speaking.

Nonetheless, whilst both of the above scenarios should mean that there has been an improvement in attitude and conditions, I’m not sure that the former has occurred. 

Basically, I suppose what it boils down to is that I don’t think, I’m getting as much enjoyment or satisfaction out of this little adventure as I envisaged originally or was having whilst in Ecuador / Peru, not that I haven’t enjoyed my time in Argentina, per se. 

Either way though, I suppose only time, the next week or so, will tell as to where I head or what I do next.


2 comments:

  1. You will get there. It's only a matter of time and belief in that goal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm ever to get to Ushuaia, where it would seems the wind gets worse! Colder and stronger I'm going to have to stop allowing the donna to win on cold wet mornings, when I should be out there riding as planned / scheduled!!!

      Delete