Translate

Saturday 4 October 2014

Tahua to Salar De Uyuni

With the opportunity to ride across the largest salt flat in the world and one which is apparently 25 times larger than the infamous Bonneville Salt Flats in America where so many car land speed records have (and continue to be) set, there's no way in the world you could keep me from riding today.

Issues such altitude sickness, food poisoning, the behaviour of a certain dickhead within the group (sorry for the language but there is no other way to describe him) or scratchy limbs (from the multitude of bites I endured a month or so ago and that still give me grief), were all cast aside. As a result I headed out on to the salt plain with a certain amount of anticipation and excitement.

It's a weird almost surreal experience, with scenery that has to be seen to be believed. 


Looking back at where we camped last night - right on the edge of the Salt Plain


Julia and Carmen.


Stopping by a little "island" in the salt, we had a bite to eat at the lunch truck, before heading onto our hotel, one which we were to discover wasn't exactly ordinary given that it's made almost entirely of salt, though unfortunately I forgot to take pictures specifically of it, as evidence or a reminder. 

Let's just put it this way, I was having too much fun both with the ride out there, I did a bit of long distance interval training, but also once there by drinking & dancing to some great music that people had on their iPhones and so on!


The trucks parked out the front of the hotel




2 comments:

  1. LOOK HOW SKINNY YOU ARE!!! I think we're going to have to air-mail you some grub. Meanwhile, those salt plains are unreal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the Lean Mean cycling machine in Bolivia, but unfortunately I found some of the weight I'd lost in the last couple of months when I got into Argentina where their food, particularly their steaks are just so dammed good!

      Think that riding on this salt plain would have to be one of the highlights of my trip.

      Delete