Translate

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Uyuni to Atocha

If I'd known today's ride was going to be as tough as it ended up being, I would have hired a taxi, bought a car or at the very least jumped onto one of the Bike Dreams trucks. Seriously and I know that my mountain biking skills are still only at the beginner to intermediate level, the length and depth of the sand traps in combination with the washboard nature of the road surface made it extremely slow (and painful) going in what was to a certain extent, boring scenery! Things were livened up to a certain extent, when I came across these guys, though I've no idea where they were headed as there didn't appear to be a water or a feed supply nearby.


It's at this point I have to be honest and say, that by the time the lunch truck came past, (around the 85KM point in the ride) I was totally feed up, with things and ended up jumping on board for the remaining thirty odd kilometres to our designated campsite. It's a pity in a way, that I hadn't chosen to do it the other way around (not that it would have been possible I subsequently discovered) because the scenery improved, quite dramatically, within 5-10 kilometres of my getting on board the truck!



I later found out, the reason there hadn't been a lunch stop and why only doing the second stage of the ride would have been impossible, is that the lunch truck had been required to deal with a medical emergency, as one of our group, had come off his bike owing to the treacherous road conditions and dislocated his shoulder in the process!


No comments:

Post a Comment