Translate

Tuesday 25 November 2014

Bus trip to El Cafalate

What a hectic morning.

Why, cause I spent the better part of an hour or so, haggling with the receptionist on the front desk of my hotel that I needed / wanted a statement (or something in writing) showing the nature of my payments. It's not normally something that I need to do, however I'm just a little bit jumpy about the way the hotels operate over here. 

It appears that the hotel I stayed at in Puerto Varas, Chile last week has charged not only the checkout bill for the length of my stay, but also the two individual night "deposit" transactions. Supposedly these weren't ever to be put through, but purely used to hold onto my money in case I left without paying. In other words I've paid for the same room twice. 

Hopefully the bank can help me resolve these disputed transactions.

But what's that got to do with this mornings little adventure?

Well basically, they charged my credit card on arrival (something which showed as a pending transaction on my online banking facility) then reversed it, because they'd put it through a couple of dollars short. Whilst I'd offered at the time to make up the shortfall in cash it seemed beyond their (or the systems) capability.

Unfortunately however as their reversal transaction still doesn't appear on my credit card statement (online) I am once again a little fearful I'll be charged twice and as a result was seeking some reassurance (or proof for down the track) that wouldn't be the case.

As the provision of a statement showing both sides of the ledger (you can tell who's a boring accountant,  can't you) well it seemingly wasn't possible and as a result I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it will all work out in the end! I've gotta be honest and say there's a good part of me which will be happy when I'm boarding my plane outta here.

Fortunately I left the hotel with just sufficient time to get to the bus station, have them print my bus ticket and to jump on the bus so that the rest of this week's little adventure could continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment