Translate

Tuesday 18 November 2014

San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina to Ensenada, Chile

On the ride down to the first ferry, well catamaran actually, I realised I'd forgotten to pack two vital things:
  • The strap for my heart rate monitor (I'll just have to play it by ear); and
  • A pen in order to complete all of the paperwork I'll be given by the Customs / Immigration officers either side of the border. 
Having never packed for a week long self supported ride before (albeit one in which I intend to stay primarily in hotels), their not exactly an automatic inclusion in the "Must pack list".


With grey clouds like this approaching it is no wonder Trolls normally live under bridges!
At any rate, getting back to the ride, well whilst I'd like to be able to include a few photos taken during the first two lake crossings, it was bucketing down with rain, so there was no chance of my getting a decent shot or two, even had I been brave (or silly) enough as to have gone outside. In saying that, I should also confess that I had to pop my winter & wet weather stuff on during the third ferry trip.


And the rain came tumbling down!

The Troll enjoying (or not) it's third ferry ride for the day!

Of course it was probably a bit late doing so by this stage in the day, having started this morning in only my shorts and a summer top. None of which of course kept me particularly warm during my 30 KM ride between Peulla and Puerto Frias an unpaved road through a wonderful nature reserve and which is also the prime means of traveling between Lago Frias and Lago Todos Llos Santos.

I suppose that was my second mistake for the day - Not checking the weather forecast for the day ahead. Ah well, shit happens!




4 comments:

  1. These two posts sound as though some fun has returned to the riding. Good on you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You betcha it has. Somewhat daunting but very liberating doing it on your own, when you can only just grasp some of the lingo, etc!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you are out riding and enjoying your holiday, I'm sure the troll will perform well being ridden as he was designed - complete with panniers! Have fun and stay safe, very jealous I'm unable to still be over there. Cheers, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, when the weather is nice and the kilometres are ticking over quite nicely it most certainly beats being stuck in an office.

      There are / were a few times, when I would have traded my bike for a desk - namely whenever the road got particularly sandy or had a never ending washboard surface, but of course I'd want to swap back the minute the road / weather improved or the workload got a bit much!

      Delete