Translate

Friday 21 November 2014

Puerto Varas to Osorno

Whilst I left Puerto Varas a little later than planned, cause I had to hunt down a couple of bananas and a tin of tuna or what have. I mean if I'd thought about it, I would have done it yesterday.

Either way, essentially I wanted / needed them cause I wasn't sure how far or hard today's ride would be and I wanted to make sure I had a bit of food in reserve should it be required. Ultimately it wasn't a problem, as the photo below indicates!


I think doing a circumnavigation of the lake is a fairly touristy thing to do, even if most people are more sensible than myself and do it on a motorbike, in a car or as part of a bus tour rather than a bike. Either way, I'll end up eating them in the next day or two, regardless of how many cafe, restaurants stops there may be on my route back to Bariloche.

The next little problem I had was getting out of town, having not sourced a map of the town and therefore having no real idea of where I was going. Fortunately I've got a fairly good sense of direction and was able to find the major highway which was to be part of today's route. Yeah!

I then headed on to Puerto Octay along the shores of Lago Llanquihue and with the sun shining down and yet not getting too hot, I've got to say it was a really, really enjoyable ride. Once I got to Puerto Octay, I had a bite to eat and then decided to press on, with the aim being to get to Entre Lagos, some 60KMs away.




Unfortunately however I missed the turn off the major road out of town, it wasn't sign posted (honest) and instead I found myself heading into the major town in the area - Osorno! The one advantage in doing so, was as proved to be the case, one of increasing my odds of finding a hotel for the night.


6 comments:

  1. How many drinks had you had before you missed the sign and what was that drink you were drinking? I wouldn't mind one.
    It's good to see that the ride is going okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't alcoholic if that's what you were thinking! Haven't had a beer since Tuesday night! Might have to have a couple with some steak now that I'm back in Bariloche! I know somewhere that cooks up a great meal! Yeah!

      Delete
  2. You seem to be having too much fun! I sense this is more like the journey and experience you'd originally hoped for rather than an 'endurance' test. The Great Vic is off and running next weekend - one good thing will be to be away from the news and the political washup from the election, and not having to hear about stuff that in the end is probably not that important unless you are a career politician. We can just focus on one pedal stroke after the other. Which is what is after all important to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst I possibly wouldn't want to have tackled Peru or Bolivia on my own, without a little more practice at doing self-supported rides, you are quite right, this last week has been nothing but an absolute joy, albeit that there's been a fair amount of hard work involved.

      Funnily enough, I can now see the prospects of doing a few week long, self supported tour of Victoria on the cards!

      Who would have thought it!

      Two weeks ago, it was certainly in the too hard basket as far as I was concerned.

      So much can change in such a little time, it would seem!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you a lot happier and enjoying the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely happier now!

      It's hard work cause so many of their customs and systems don't work properly and I'll be glad to get to LA in a couple of weeks time but I wish I'd left the group in Salta three weeks ago.

      Delete