Translate

Friday 28 November 2014

El Chalten

Today was spent exploring some of the glaciers, lakes and mountains in South Patagonia and I'm so glad I did.

I had a wonderful day, got to find out a little bit more of the recent history of the country and had the opportunity to see and photograph the landscape from a different perspective than if I'd been riding through the area. IE: I had to do a bit of mountain climbing in order to get the shot below and several more like it!



Essentially I'd initially booked my trip down to El Calafate such that I had the chance of doing the glacier tour on either of two days. Why? Essentially because the tour company only accepted email (not direct web page) bookings ten days or more prior to doing their guided tour. As a result, getting lucky and doing the trip out to the glacier on day one meant that I had the opportunity last night to see what else in the way of tourist / sightseeing activities was on offer in the area!





7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Apparently El Chalten is considered by many mountain climbers world wide to be a climbing &:trekking paradise. It's got a bit of a reputation locally as being a draw card and I can see why.

      As for why you'd want to climb mountains as a hobby / sport, I really don't know or see the attraction but then again that could just be my fear of heights coming out to play!

      Delete
  2. Nice pics . It's funny you saying why people would to climb mountains for a hobby. You ride your bike for miles on end (which is good and amazing) When most people would take the easier way in a car. Different people like different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! But everyone knows how (and should regularly) ride a bike, but climb mountains? Why? Just so that you get to see the world from a different perspective?

      Sounds like pure madness to me, but then again I like to keep my feet firmly on the ground & aren't to keen on falling.....

      Off bikes or mountains!

      Delete
  3. Luckily when we do the Glaciers in New Zealand next year we will be doing the hard bits in a helicopter and hopefully we won't fall off or one of us get pushed off. Bugger the Glacier where it involves a 3 hour hike, they can have that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not just fly over the glacier in a Airbus A380 at 40,000 feet or something?

      If your going to NZ to see it, then may as well do it properly!

      Delete
  4. We will be walking on it, just getting up the easy way. You know at our age "as you remind me off a lot" cant waste time doing the hard yakka.
    I believe in comfort and spending my spare time drinking coffee, cocktails etc, not torturing myself. They say no pain no gain. I will prove them wrong. Lot to gain with no pain


    ReplyDelete