Translate

Sunday 30 April 2017

Adventures in April

I am pleased to be able to say that I've put a further 700 odd kilometres through the pedals during the month, thus extending my run of 150KM per week rides another month. Some of it ridden at a leisurely pace, enabling me to admire the scenery and enjoy the weather, whilst at other times it has been with higher intensity with the aim of giving me a bit of a cardio workout and / or an opportunity to burn off a bit of excess energy. Now in saying this, I should also add that I try to give both bikes an equal workout.... 

I have to confess however, that I regrettably haven't ridden more. I sometimes find it difficult to find the motivation to get out there and ride, despite knowing the physical & mental benefits that will ensue.... 

Let's just put it this way, riding on one's own, unless it's with a specific aim or to say get from Point A to Point B gets a bit boring, lonely and tiresome at times. Then there is the 'safety' aspect which comes with riding in a peleton / with colleagues. 

This is a situation of course, that's not helped by the fact that I am a night owl, despite years trying to break the habit which consequently means it's somewhat difficult to join club or shop rides as part of a group, given they typically hit the road at six o'clock in the morning or thereabouts which doesn't take into consideration of course, the fact it's necessary to depart one's home at least thirty minutes earlier in order to get to the agreed starting point. Me, waking at five in the morning! There's a snowballs chance.....

Sure I managed to do so intermittently with Team Flexorcranks when doing the MRR circuit and when I was riding with the Lead Out Crew, but life was somewhat different back then....

So where does that leave me:

  • Setting & challenging myself to complete certain set goals. IE: Distance / Week;
  • Endeavouring to improve on my own Strava records on certain rides;
  • Exploring new areas, bike paths, etc;
  • Maintaining my fitness with one eye on my goal of touring through Europe

One much loved / repeated trip, I do, at a leisurely pace, is on the bike path alongside the Yarra River.


Whilst I was admiring the Melbourne Skyline & Yarra River


The Troll was admiring a potential bridge to hide under!

No comments:

Post a Comment