Translate

Sunday 4 June 2017

European Adventure Update No.2

Well the planning & commitment to cycling through Europe just got a little more "real" the other day, when I realised that:

  • Whilst it may not change nor cure anything, I have unfinished business to complete in Europe;
  • Expecting a more "traditional" life to unfold, in terms of careers, partners, etc, isn't necessarily going to happen;
  • All manner of things can change in the blink of an eye, particularly in respect to health and/or lifestyle;
  • Having been refused entry through the Pearly Gates twice now, I may not be as lucky next time;
  • It's only money and you can't take it with you!

As a result, whilst there's still a few things I'll need to organise before I can go and purchase airline tickets, I have at least dealt with one of the more important issues - I've renewed my passports, though I'll probably "travel" on my British one..... 

Why travel on my British rather than Australian passport I hear you ask? Well, essentially cause I have a little more faith in the British Foreign Office, then I do Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade and secondly because I also suspect it opens a few more doors in terms of relocating to Europe than my Aussie passport does.... 

Thanks Dad for having been a ten pound Pom!

How much I'll have the piss taken out of me for doing so, given their propensity for going to the polls and the subsequent outcomes which ensue, or how well it will serve me given the current debacle / hype around the Brexit 'divorce' proceedings however who knows.... I'll just have to remember to tell those I meet on the road, particularly in France, that I am a dinky-di Aussie, cause I'd hate to be confused for a POM in terms of my sporting allegiances or what have you! 😊 😊 😊 

That just then leaves me in the next couple of weeks to:

  • Re-organise my financial affairs.
  • Have a chat with my local real estate agent.
  • Potentially buy a new bike - A Surly Long Haul Trucker

Now I should explain, that last item on the agenda. Whilst the Surly Troll would work, it's likely to mean more time in the saddle per day to cover the same distance and carrying the same load, than if I rode something with a larger wheel size.

Essentially, I've found (and it's a slightly a biased trial) that when I ride the same route, with what feels like the same effort, that I can only ride the Troll at 75% of the speed of the Felt, something I'm putting down primarily to the difference in wheel size, though weight is probably also a contributing factor. The bike's that is, not mine, you cheeky buggers!

Finally in closing I have to admit that I am beginning to wonder how far North I want to go, given that I may have left my prospective departure date a little late. IE: Is it likely to be getting cold by the time I get to Berlin. 

Decisions, decisions.... 

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll be fine with your UK passport as it's before Brexit happens-after that you might be grateful for your Aussie one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a dinky-di Aussie and can only ever support one team.

      Green & Gold all the way!

      Oh, and I might also cheer on anyone who's playing against Britain. :)

      In all seriousness though I don't think traveling on my British passport will cause any issues post Brexit I mean, the whole thing seems to be such a mess, that it's going to take ages to work through and it's not as if the wee little island that you are is actually going to sail away from Europe geographically speaking at least. So Brexit or no Brexit - You stuck with one another, even if it is just as neighbours over the channel. :)

      Delete