Translate

Wednesday 14 February 2018

2018 - A new year! A new beginning!

Whilst my "tour" goals for 2018 are still to be finalized, with March / April potentially entailing a trip from Adelaide through to Brisbane, I'm not entirely sure where I wish to visit during the Southern Hemisphere winter.

At the moment I'm tossing up between doing:

  • The Tour de Afrique Silk Road Tour
  • A self-supported trip through France
  • A self-supported trip from Amsterdam to Warsaw
  • A self-supported Lands End to John O'Groats trip

My sneaking suspicion is that I'll ride through mainland Europe, possibly concentrating on France as a legacy to my father.... He rode with a mate through France, as a young lad, back in the late 50's, early 60's, before "touring" had reached the heights it's got to now. I loved to hear about some of his exploits and just wish he'd taken a few photos.

I think it would be a fitting tribute, given that it was him after all that got me into cycling! 

4 comments:

  1. Retracing dads steps would be a very meaningful pursuit. Mates in Amsterdam is always attractive. Lejog is a icon. And Africa/Silk Road is back to the long-term adventures.


    Spoilt for choice....???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that whilst I would enjoy the challenge of doing the Tour de Afrique - Silk Road Tour (in 2018) and / or their Cairo to Capetown Tour (in 2019), they're a little pricey but more importantly I haven't yet discovered what I may actually be capable of on a self-supported basis.

    As a consequence, I suspect I'll be off to Europe, though not necessarily Lands End to John O'Groats. Might just save that for another time. The opportunity to really explore mainland Europe is too appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - I hope you are going to post in your blog or otherwise, how you found cycling through Morocco. I have heard some great stories about the place and riding the Atlas Mountains is on my bucket list, though it is a pretty big bucket.

    ReplyDelete